Wednesday, September 9, 2009

About that Travel Art Journal...

I had great plans. I had a little suitcase full of materials. DIY paper, collage paper, tags, more pens than I knew what to do with, my trusty gluestick, tape, and four pages a day in my Art Journal.

I would journal every single day after Tye, my family and me came back from whatever it was we went to see. After our shopping trip in Birmingham, after our days out in Stratford-upon-Avon, after going to see Warwick Castle. I would write and add anything that I would find along the way. Brochures, receipts, leafs, little notes.

And I did journal. I wrote about how we got to the campsite, set up our tent, and what we did in Birmingham when me and Tye and my sister went for a shopping trip there. And when we went to Stratford-upon-Avon I picked up some amazing Shakespeare tape, with the titles of all his plays.

And then, that was it... I did not touch my Art Journal until after we got back. No time, not enough space, and it felt a bit strange to get the journal-suitcase out when we were enjoying a drink and some nibbles after spending a long day walking around seeing the sights.

But hey, it's finished now, and I love it! I covered it all in Shakespeare tape and hopefully in years to come I will still remember what we went to see, the meals we had and how I teased my parents and sister by singing the song about Henry VIII.

4 comments:

  1. I have that same tape! I bought it when I went to see Hamlet last year. I didn't get any art journaling done while I was there either and I was on my own for 5 days! Too many fun things to do around that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were there for 6 day and I have to be honest, by the end of it, I was a tiny bit Shakespeare'd out.. Everything they could think of that might somehow relate to him was there. From the house he did not live in, but you could see the foundations of the house he did buy for him and his wife, to a garden full flowers and plants from his plays.... Still very interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing - work on it both while traveling and afterwards at home. It's a great way to solidify those great memories. It turned out really gorgeous BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea, Gypsy, to draw and sketch while out and about and then add that to the journal. Will keep that in mind for next time!

    Thanks Kimmie!

    ReplyDelete