Friday, February 10, 2012

Postcard Challenge - Belgium

So...

Tye got ill, and then I got ill... Not ill-ill, but we had a really bad cold/close to flu that kept us in bed for days coughing up our lungs and hurting all over...
Art was not exactly on my mind.

And then when I started to feel better, and I did a couple of drawings in my Illustrated Journal, I still didn't feel up to the Postcard Challenge. And then when I did, I felt as if I had to catch up, and that stopped me from even going there at all... I know, silly me.

So this week, I finally decided to not even think of China, Brazil and France and just carry on going with Belgium!




"Michael,
I don't think I've ever been as active as I have been staying in Belgium's smallest city of Durbuy.
Kayaking down the river Ourthe was amazing, we had a blast horseback riding, I challenged myself rock climbing and we went mountainbiking.
We visited the caves of Hoton and the Hara Krisna castle of La Petite Somme. But the best thing: chips with sour mayo!
Nat. X
"


Durbuy really is a lovely little city, I remember going on holiday there when I was about 8, and going back to that same area a few times. We stayed in a bungalow exactly like this one, and I remember evening walks organised by the park people, down the mountain into the little town, having a drink in a cafe with my dad and the dog.

I remember the Caves of Hotton, that used to have a boat ride at the end of it and they'd always say 'cover your childrens' ears' before firing off a canon that was SO loud, but when you got to the end of it it was a toy-size one. I remember seeing fireflies which I thought were magical, and seeing Hara Krisna walking around in town.

It was the first place I kept a glue book, of my dad's Belgian beer labels, and food labels and dried flowers.

But most of all: Belgian chips are the world's best, and their sour-tasting mayo is amazing! We would always take a few tubs back home with us after every holiday in Belgium.

23 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you have shared with us...I can see your smile from here lol :D And I can smell those hot chips too mmmmmmm......chips......:) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, just send hubby out to grab some chips for dinner! :)
    Great card!!! ♥ Hope you feel all well now and have more time for Art again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love reading your memories. wonder if the sour mayo is a little like tartar sauce without the pickles? Glad your on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab the only way to eat chips !! A xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. fab card and great memories off to check the links you have posted x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card, reminds me of when I was child too, we got our chips in cones like this. Thanks for the memory. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  7. With all that physical activity, Nat can indulge in more chips without a worry. Thanks for sharing your delightful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and those chips taste best eaten as you walk along, plucked from a paper cone...just like the one on your card...

    dx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmmm, chips!

    I hope you both feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy memories, fun postcard.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. great memories. can smell the chips..

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh now this brings back happy memories, surprising what remains in my head after all these years, especially when it comes to food!! fab card! M

    ReplyDelete
  13. Original card! Happy memories shared - thank you .

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Frites and memories. I hope your family continues to feel better. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aloha...i especially love the chips (fries)...glad you posted this Belgium card...

    ReplyDelete
  16. mm chips n mayo...loved hearing about your holidays. No worries about catching up, you might find you come across something from those countries that you want to do in the future, but if not it doesnt matter, thats the beauty of the challenge, you can join in whenever you want. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear your feeling a little better. Those fries look good enough to eat. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks tasty. Sounds like Nat is keeping busy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh - you've made me hungry for Frites & Mayo now!
    I love Fritsaus you get in Holland so this has made me want this now! Shame you can't get it in the UK.
    Get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you are feeling better. The flu is no fun! I missed 2 countries from starting this challenge late (my character took the slow boat to China, thus by passing Spain and Brazil. heehee)

    My stomach is grumbling for your chips and mayo. Lovely memories you shared. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete